Connect with us

Football

Mourinho confirms Son to return from injury, avoids Kane speculation

Published

on

Mourinho confirms Son return from injury, avoids Kane speculation

Tottenham Hotspur coach Jose Mourinho announced on Friday that forward Son Heung-min has recovered from his injury ahead of the club’s Premier League match against Newcastle United on Sunday, but he remained tight-lipped about Harry Kane’s future at the club.

Son, who has 13 goals and nine assists in the Premier League this season, was forced to leave last month’s derby defeat at Arsenal due to a thigh injury that stopped him from going on international duty.

“He was injured, trained with the team fully this morning,” Mourinho told reporters.

Advertisement

“He did partial exercises with the team yesterday and last week didn’t train at all. This time we have (Matt) Doherty and Ben Davies out. Sergio Reguilon is ready.”

Kane has been linked with a number of clubs despite having a deal with Spurs until 2024.

Mourinho, on the other hand, declined to be drawn into a debate about England striker Harry Kane’s latest remarks on international duty, in which he said leaving Spurs to win titles was a “tough question to address.”

Advertisement

“I cannot play that game. I have to focus on what he is for us,” Mourinho said.

“I can only focus on what he does for us and the effort he put in for us at (Aston) Villa, the effort he put in for England, and the match at Newcastle and whether playing well or not, he will be there for the team.

“I want Harry to be with us what he has been… the same commitment, desire and leadership.”

Advertisement

Spurs are currently in sixth position in the Premier League, three points behind the top four and Champions League qualification.

Tottenham identify two potential Jose Mourinho replacements

Mourinho, on the other hand, dodged a query about whether Spurs would be considered a failure this season if they do not qualify for Europe.

Advertisement

“I don’t want to speak about that possibility because I don’t want to be pessimistic and try to anticipate scenarios and evaluate the season before it’s finished,” he said.

Rangers

Rangers fear major exit for ‘key’ player wanted by clubs abroad

Published

on

Rangers fear major exit for 'key' player wanted by clubs abroad
Image Credit: Getty Images

Scott Arfield has been a vital part of the Rangers team since joining in 2018, and his current form, especially after van Bronckhorst took charge, is nothing short of exemplary.

The 33-year old Scottish-Canadian’s display is on a high now, and he recently helped his side’s win against Livingston with his “unbelievable” (according to Richard Foster) 75th minute goal.

He is a must-keep, but according to transfermarkt, the reigning Scottish champions risk losing him and other senior team members, including Steven Davis and Allan McGregor, in the summer following contract expiry.

Advertisement

The Mirror’s print edition reported that the Gers fear letting their No. 37 go in exchange for nothing, given that USA clubs have their sights set on the midfielder, and his contract is only months away from expiry.

Money included or not, Scott’s departure could be a big blow come next season since he now practically determines Rangers’ performance (the one time he didn’t play after Gerrard’s exit is the only time Rangers dropped points.)

Hopefully, Rangers will consider holding talks to fight for the former Huddersfield Town’s contract extension, and he (Scott) is willing to stay in Scotland and at Ibrox, otherwise the double loss in terms of money and talent could hugely affect the Gers next season.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Liverpool FC

Liverpool win race for £50m Porto star

Published

on

Liverpool win race for £50m Porto star
Image Credit: Getty Images

Liverpool are preparing a late £45 million bid for Porto striker Luis Diaz, who is also being pursued by Tottenham.

The Colombian winger was Jurgen Klopp’s first option for the summer transfer window, but due to Spurs’ significant interest, Liverpool have hastened their preparations.

Liverpool is thought to be proposing an initial £37 million, plus bonuses, which will only be activated if Diaz is a major success at Anfield.

Advertisement

Tottenham has been in discussions with Porto over Diaz, reportedly willing to spend up to £46 million for the player.

Spurs are reportedly willing to pay £37.6 million upfront for Diaz, with an extra £8.4 million in performance-related add-ons, according to reports in Portugal.

Spurs have already appeared to miss out on Wolves attacker Adama Traore, who appears poised to return to Barca on loan, and missing out on Luiz would be another major blow this month.

Advertisement

It is unclear whether Diaz will move to Anfield this month or wait till the end of the season. In 18 outings for his current club this season, he has managed to score 14 goals.

Sky Sports reporter Vinny O’Connor:

“Obviously, it’s far from done and could easily come to nothing.

Advertisement

“However, Liverpool view this as an excellent deal if it gets completed – very much close to a Diogo Jota-type fee. Also, it is far better value than the original €60m asking price.

“Diaz was Jurgen Klopp’s first choice for the summer, but they have brought those plans forward because it was clear if Liverpool didn’t act this window, the player would move on.

“This isn’t done and could yet collapse – the player is in Argentina with his national team, so it will be far from straightforward to complete the deal.

Advertisement

“However, if it does get done, it’s a big coup for Julian Ward, who is to succeed sporting director Michael Edwards in the summer. It was a deal in which Ward lead for the first time, but it is fair to say he’s been supported strongly by Edwards who put together the strategy to secure the player this month.”

Continue Reading

Everton

Two Everton midfielders out for minimum of four weeks

Published

on

newFile 3

After suffering injuries in the last week, Everton midfielders Abdoulaye Doucoure and Fabian Delph will both be out for at least four weeks.

The injury to Doucoure occurred in the second half of Everton’s 1-0 loss to Aston Villa on Saturday, while the injury to Delph occurred in training.

Duncan Ferguson, the interim manager, suddenly has a scarcity of fit midfield players, with Tom Davies also sidelined for a prolonged period.

Advertisement

Allan, Andre Gomes, and Jean-Philippe Gbamin, as well as Tyler Onyango, are available.

An Everton statement read: “Everton midfielders Abdoulaye Doucoure and Fabian Delph are expected to be out for a minimum of four weeks after sustaining injuries.

“Frenchman Doucoure was forced off in the 65th minute of Saturday’s Premier League match against Aston Villa at Goodison Park due to a groin problem.

Advertisement

“Subsequent tests have revealed the 29-year-old requires a period of rehabilitation under the care of Everton’s medical staff at USM Finch Farm.

“Meanwhile, Delph sustained a thigh injury during a training session this week and is now undergoing treatment with the club’s medical team.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending