Bayern Munich midfielder Joshua Kimmich believes his team will defeat Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League quarterfinal second leg at the Parc des Princes on Tuesday and advance to the last four.
“I believe that we will progress, because we’re the better team,” Kimmich told the club’s website.
Bayern must recover from a 3-2 loss in the first leg in Munich last week.
“We were the better team in the first leg, but unfortunately the result didn’t correspond to the performance,” added Kimmich.
“Nevertheless, I’m confident that we can still turn it around in the second leg.”
Despite firing 31 shots at PSG’s goal, 12 of which were on target, Bayern lost the first leg at home to Kylian Mbappe, who netted twice, and Marquinhos, who also scored, despite PSG having just four attempts on goal.
“In the first leg, they threatened three times and scored three times,” said Kimmich.
“Apart from that, I don’t remember Paris having that many chances.
“Overall, our attack had more possession and more chances. Now we have to take these chances.”
Bayern Munich are without leading scorer Robert Lewandowski, who is hospitalized, and winger Serge Gnabry, who tested positive for Covid-19.
Bayern boss Hansi Flick, on the other hand, claims that Leon Goretzka, Lucas Hernandez, Jerome Boateng, and Kingsley Coman have recovered from their injuries and should be fit to play.
“We have to do our job, force them to make mistakes,” Flick told a press conference on Monday. “It’s a tough task, but we want to create a little surprise.”
Kimmich continued: “A lot will come down to mentality, but also efficiency.
“We already showed a good mentality in the first game but we weren’t efficient enough. This time we need both.
“It’s down to every individual in our team, not just me. Every player must become a leader in this game.
“Everyone must show their character on the day and have total belief in themselves.
“And then we have to strike when the chance comes.”
To advance, Bayern must win by two goals or score three times and win by one, but forward Thomas Mueller said the German champions will not take any chances.
“Despite our attack-minded philosophy, we’ll avoid playing with five strikers and one midfielder,” Mueller told reporters Monday.
“We want to push for our first goal very quickly, but not use the crowbar from the start.”
Mbappe should not be allowed to attack the space behind Bayern’s defense, according to Mueller.
“Mbappe in particular is very dangerous. The way we play creates space, so it is important that he cannot be left to run on his own in space,” added Mueller.
Bayern forward in need of a new challenge
According to Sky Sports, Bayern Munich’s iconic forward Robert Lewandowski has announced that he wants a new challenge away from the Bundesliga giants.
It’s said that Lewandowski is ‘happy’ at Bayern but wants to move to another top European club before the age of 35. He’ll turn 33 at the weekend.
Bayern have stated that they value the Polish striker at more than £100 million because of his statistics, which are clearly off the charts.
The German champions’ valuation, is probably designed to keep him at the club until the end of his contract as it will be difficult for any club to pay such an amount for him considering his age, hence pricing the FIFA and UEFA player of the year out of a departure.
Bayern have not offered any extension to his current contract which comes to an end in 2023.
The Poland striker is understood to be frustrated by their reluctance to sell, but is unlikely to do anything that will harm his good relationship with the club and fans.
The 32-year-old scored 55 goals in 47 games across all competitions in the 2019-20 season and 41 goals in 29 games last season, breaking Gerd Muller’s record of most goals scored in a Bundesliga season after 49 years.
All eyes will be on Manchester City now who are currently without a main striker after Sergio Aguero’s departure. The club is having a rough time trying to convince Tottenham to sell them their main man Harry Kane and considering they are willing to pay a fee around Bayern’s asking price, Lewandowski could be an option for them.
Manchester United could also be a potential destination for Lewandowski as their main striker, Edinson Cavani, turns 35 this season.
PSG though big spenders too, are highly unlikely to make a bid for the decorated striker, as their trio of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe looks more than capable of winning their most coveted trophy, the UEFA Champions League.
Romano confirms on Twitter 25-year-old has completed his Everton medical
Demarai Gray’s medical has been completed, according to Fabrizio Romano, ahead of his move to Everton.
Gray appears to be the third first-team addition that Rafa Benitez will be able to make at Goodison Park.
Andros Townsend and Asmir Begovic have joined the Toffees. And it appears that they are about to announce yet another clever business move.
Gray has finished his medical, according to Romano. He is expected to sign a three-year contract with a one-year extension option.
According to the reporter, the fee will be roughly £1.7 million.
Begovic, on the other hand, appears to be a good signing for Everton, who are in need of a goalkeeper to replace Jordan Pickford.
Gray may be considered a bit of a wildcard. With Leicester and subsequently Bayer Leverkusen, he has not had the finest of seasons.
For £1.7 million, it’s difficult to disagree that getting him back to England was not a wise decision on Everton’s part.
Bayern appoint Nagelsmann as the manager to replace Treble-winning Flick
(ESPN)-Following a compensation deal with RB Leipzig, Bayern Munich has appointed Julian Nagelsmann as their new boss.
Nagelsmann, 33, has agreed to a contract extension with the Bundesliga champions until 2026. Bayern Munich has paid Leipzig compensation, which according to ESPN sources is a world record for a boss, surpassing the €15 million Chelsea paid Porto for Andre Villas-Boas in 2011.
Nagelsmann is expected to replace Hansi Flick, who asked Bayern to release him from his contract earlier this month after a squabble with sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic over the Bundesliga champions’ transfer policy and ideology.
Following the dismissal of Niko Kovac in November 2019, Flick took over as Bayern Munich manager and guided the club to a Champions League, Bundesliga, and DFB-Pokal treble. When he added the German Super Cup, UEFA Super Cup, and FIFA Club World Cup to his trophy cabinet, he became just the second manager in history to win six trophies in a single calendar year. With national team manager Joachim Low stepping down after the European Championship this summer, he may now take over as Germany’s coach.
Sources close to Nagelsmann told ESPN on Friday that he was open to negotiation from the Premier League, where Tottenham is searching for a successor for Jose Mourinho. Nagelsmann has decided to take over his third Bundesliga club, Bayern Munich, after Bayern made a bid.
Nagelsmann took over Leipzig from TSG Hoffenheim in 2019 and guided them to the Champions League semifinals in his first season.
On Friday, Leipzig will face Werder Bremen in a DFB-Pokal semifinal, with Nagelsmann hoping to lead Leipzig to their first major title. In the final, the winner is likely to face Borussia Dortmund, who will face second-tier side Holstein Kiel.
Jesse Marsch, who manages another Red Bull team, FC Salzburg, is one of the frontrunners to succeed Nagelsmann at Leipzig.
Meanwhile, Leipzig announced on Monday that sporting director Markus Krosche’s contract had been discontinued a year before it was due to expire.
The 40-year-old had been at Leipzig for two years and had been rumored to be leaving for a few months. After Fredi Bobic’s decision to reunite with his capital-based family and join Hertha Berlin, he has been linked with Eintracht Frankfurt, who are searching for a new sporting executive.
With Nagelsmann’s move to Munich, five of the Bundesliga’s top seven teams will have a new manager for the 2021-22 season: Bayern, Leipzig, Wolfsburg, Frankfurt, Dortmund, Bayer Leverkusen, and Borussia Monchengladbach.
News11 months ago
Rodgers says no timeline on injured Maddison’s return
Everton2 weeks ago
Report: Farhad Moshiri in talks for £9 million attacker despite Benitez’s reluctance
News11 months ago
Brendan Rodgers takes blame for Europa League exit
News11 months ago
Solskjaer promises ‘responsible’ transfer business
News11 months ago
Manchester derby early team news and lineup
Football7 months ago
West Ham make first move of summer window as low £15.5m bid is lodged for the new Vidic
Everton2 months ago
Everton chairman makes feeling clear on Benitez future to Moshiri
News11 months ago
Alisson Becker suffers the death of father in a tragic drowning