Connect with us

Football

Liverpool FC urged to sign Renato Sanches to replace Georginio Wijnaldum

Published

on

Liverpool FC urged to sign Renato Sanches to replace Georginio Wijnaldum

Former Reds defender Jose Enrique believes Liverpool FC should recruit Lille and Portugal midfielder Renato Sanches to replace Georginio Wijnaldum.

Liverpool are looking for a new midfielder after Wijnaldum signed a free transfer to Ligue 1 side Paris Saint-Germain this summer.

Since joining the Merseyside club from Newcastle United, the Netherlands international has been an important player for the Reds.

Advertisement

Before joining PSG in the summer, Wijnaldum helped Liverpool win the Premier League, Champions League, and Fifa World Club Cup under Jurgen Klopp.

In the current transfer window, Liverpool FC has been associated with a variety of central midfielders as Klopp seeks to replace the Dutch ace.

Sanches has been a standout performer for Lille this season, and the former Swansea City midfielder was key in their 2-2 draw with world champions France earlier this week.

Advertisement

The former Liverpool player, Enrique, believes the club should aim to recruit Sanches to fill the vacuum left by Wijnaldum’s departure.

“This [Sanches] is the man I want to replace Gini,” Enrique wrote on his Instagram page. “He steps up on the big stage.

“This man is an absolute engine and knows how to dictate a midfield like Gini did. He’s physically a level above others, he seems like a perfect fit for Klopp. He also has that creative aspect which Gini had.”

Advertisement

In 23 appearances in Ligue 1 last season, Sanches scored one goal and provided three assists.

In 59 games across all competitions, the Portuguese player has scored five goals.

Advertisement

Celtic FC

Ange provides injury report and welcomes home Scottish Cup draw

Published

on

Ange provides injury report and welcomes home Scottish Cup draw
Image Credit: Reuters

Ange Postecoglou got the job done against Alloa Athletic in the Scottish Cup fourth round on Saturday.

A 2-1 win against League One side ensured advancement to the showpiece final at Hampden Park later this season.

The goal was to get through, but despite accomplishing that goal, injuries forced Callum McGregor and Yosuke Ideguchi to leave the Indodrill Stadium.

Advertisement

Ange Postecoglou spoke exclusively to Celtic TV about the duo’s fitness and the fifth round, which includes a match versus Raith Rovers at Celtic Park.

The Celtic manager said: “Callum is better today. He wasn’t in great shape after the game but I’ve exchanged messages with him and he feels a bit better, which is great.

“Knowing the type of character Callum is, for him to come off was something significant. Hopefully, his recovery doesn’t take too long.

Advertisement

“Yosuke is not great. I think I said after the game it didn’t look too serious but it’s still pretty painful now.

“I was optimistic it wouldn’t be too bad, but as everyone saw in the footage it was a tackle that shouldn’t have happened and should have been addressed on the day.

“It was a terrible tackle and one he hasn’t come of too well and will be missing for a little bit as well.

Advertisement

“The pitch wasn’t great in the last round against Alloa and they’re the type of things you want to avoid. The fact we’re at home in front of our supporters and on our pitch, I think is a good advantage.”

On the plus side, the team put in a strong performance on Saturday, led by Giorgos Giakoumakis, who scored his second goal for the green and white Hoops.

“It was good for him and more important it was good to get 90 minutes,” he said. “He’s had an interrupted first half of the year but he’s worked awfully hard.

Advertisement

“We gave most of the guys a week off in between games but he stayed at Lennoxtown with a few other boys and put in the work.

“He got through the 90 minutes pretty strong and scored his goal, so it’s a good foundation for him.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Everton

Everton senior board members fume as Farhad Moshiri talks with Vitor Pereira in Monaco

Published

on

Everton senior board members fume as Farhad Moshiri talks with Vitor Pereira in Monaco
Image Credit: Sky Sports

According to the Daily Star, senior Everton officials are furious with Farhad Moshiri over his weekend meetings with Vitor Pereira.

Moshiri met with the contender for talks in Monaco, according to the newspaper’s print copy (25/01).

Given how disastrous the move to appoint Rafa Benitez was, board members at Goodison Park are thought to have strong opposition.

Advertisement

“Board and on the senior executive, especially given the disastrous appointment of Rafa Benitez,” the piece concluded.

Moshiri appeared to be going in headfirst and making the decision without engaging anyone.

This just goes to show that, while he may be a terrific businessman, his football brain is still lagging behind and causing serious problems at Goodison Park.

Advertisement

The owner is in desperate need of advice because some of his recent actions have been comical.

The fans are grateful to those senior board members who opted to stand up and be counted on this occasion, preventing a catastrophe.

Pereira may have won awards during his career, but he did so in nations like China, Greece, and Portugal, where it is expected.

Advertisement

Hopefully, Moshiri will listen to his board members more often, and they will assist him in making the best decision possible to move the Toffees ahead rather than backward.

Continue Reading

Football

Newcastle table £10m loan offer, player out of contract in the summer

Published

on

Newcastle table £10m loan offer, player out of contract in the summer

Newcastle have reportedly made a £10 million loan approach for Jesse Lingard in the final days of the January transfer window, according to 90Min. According to the report, despite the fact that conversations have lasted a month, they ‘anticipate’ this offer to be ‘accepted.’

Lingard, who is 29 years old, has only started two of his 14 league and cup games this season. That’s following a brilliant loan spell with West Ham last season, in which he netted nine goals and contributed five assists in 16 appearances. In June, his contract will expire.

Newcastle, as well as West Ham and Tottenham, have been heavily connected with Lingard. However, according to the source, Newcastle has offered United a £10 million loan fee for Lingard after extensive discussions.

Advertisement
GettyImages 1363299523 1 scaled 1
Image Credit: Sky Sports

Unless he accepts a new Old Trafford contract, such a deal would likely put an end to his United career. It’s unknown whether Lingard wants to transfer, but it’s been said that Newcastle would have to pay him twice as much as he is now.

Lingard still needs to be persuaded. Newcastle triumphed over the weekend, which is crucial not only in terms of staying up but also in terms of attracting players this month. It provides those who are being hunted a better chance of surviving.

Lingard possesses the ability to increase Newcastle’s hopes of remaining in the Premier League significantly. If he joins on loan, Newcastle will have six months to persuade him to sign a permanent contract – and it could work out.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: