Connect with us

Football

Gary Neville predicts where United and Liverpool will finish this season

Published

on

southampton fc v leicester city premier league

Former Manchester United and England player Gary Neville has predicted where his former cub and Liverpool will finish this season.

United are aiming to be the best title contenders this season, breaking the bank to bring in new energy to their squad with the likes of Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane.

The Manchester side will yet try again to win the coveted trophy after a long drought, lifting it for the last time back in 2013 under manager Alex Ferguson.

Advertisement

According to Neville, Manchester United and Liverpool will take the third and fourth spots on the Premier League table respectively when the season comes to an end. This is behind Manchester City and Chelsea respectively according to his prediction.

Explaining his prediction, Neville said on Sky Sports on Monday, that he just thinks that they have a better squad.

He also credited Liverpool for having a good squad too, but pointed out that they might fall off due to injuries, as they did last season.

Advertisement

Liverpool have already had an injury case this season with skipper Andy Robertson missing  out on  the two opening games of the season due to ankle ligament damage but was on the bench in last week’s victory against Burnley.

The Scotland international is said to be ready and expects to start in the match against Chelsea.

Speaking to the club’s website, this is what he had to say:

Advertisement

“Obviously the gaffer put me on the bench, which was probably unexpected but I was happy. When you’re at the game and everything is involved, you just want to be on the pitch, but I think that was unrealistic yesterday. 

“Now I’ve trained today and I’ll have a full week of training so let’s see what happens against Chelsea. But I’ll be ready, I’ll be ready to play, and like I said I’ll hopefully be fit for the rest of the season now.”

Gary pointed out that United do not have that drop in level in any position and that is why they will finish above Liverpool on the Premier League table.

Advertisement

Celtic FC

Ange provides injury report and welcomes home Scottish Cup draw

Published

on

Ange provides injury report and welcomes home Scottish Cup draw
Image Credit: Reuters

Ange Postecoglou got the job done against Alloa Athletic in the Scottish Cup fourth round on Saturday.

A 2-1 win against League One side ensured advancement to the showpiece final at Hampden Park later this season.

The goal was to get through, but despite accomplishing that goal, injuries forced Callum McGregor and Yosuke Ideguchi to leave the Indodrill Stadium.

Advertisement

Ange Postecoglou spoke exclusively to Celtic TV about the duo’s fitness and the fifth round, which includes a match versus Raith Rovers at Celtic Park.

The Celtic manager said: “Callum is better today. He wasn’t in great shape after the game but I’ve exchanged messages with him and he feels a bit better, which is great.

“Knowing the type of character Callum is, for him to come off was something significant. Hopefully, his recovery doesn’t take too long.

Advertisement

“Yosuke is not great. I think I said after the game it didn’t look too serious but it’s still pretty painful now.

“I was optimistic it wouldn’t be too bad, but as everyone saw in the footage it was a tackle that shouldn’t have happened and should have been addressed on the day.

“It was a terrible tackle and one he hasn’t come of too well and will be missing for a little bit as well.

Advertisement

“The pitch wasn’t great in the last round against Alloa and they’re the type of things you want to avoid. The fact we’re at home in front of our supporters and on our pitch, I think is a good advantage.”

On the plus side, the team put in a strong performance on Saturday, led by Giorgos Giakoumakis, who scored his second goal for the green and white Hoops.

“It was good for him and more important it was good to get 90 minutes,” he said. “He’s had an interrupted first half of the year but he’s worked awfully hard.

Advertisement

“We gave most of the guys a week off in between games but he stayed at Lennoxtown with a few other boys and put in the work.

“He got through the 90 minutes pretty strong and scored his goal, so it’s a good foundation for him.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Everton

Everton senior board members fume as Farhad Moshiri talks with Vitor Pereira in Monaco

Published

on

Everton senior board members fume as Farhad Moshiri talks with Vitor Pereira in Monaco
Image Credit: Sky Sports

According to the Daily Star, senior Everton officials are furious with Farhad Moshiri over his weekend meetings with Vitor Pereira.

Moshiri met with the contender for talks in Monaco, according to the newspaper’s print copy (25/01).

Given how disastrous the move to appoint Rafa Benitez was, board members at Goodison Park are thought to have strong opposition.

Advertisement

“Board and on the senior executive, especially given the disastrous appointment of Rafa Benitez,” the piece concluded.

Moshiri appeared to be going in headfirst and making the decision without engaging anyone.

This just goes to show that, while he may be a terrific businessman, his football brain is still lagging behind and causing serious problems at Goodison Park.

Advertisement

The owner is in desperate need of advice because some of his recent actions have been comical.

The fans are grateful to those senior board members who opted to stand up and be counted on this occasion, preventing a catastrophe.

Pereira may have won awards during his career, but he did so in nations like China, Greece, and Portugal, where it is expected.

Advertisement

Hopefully, Moshiri will listen to his board members more often, and they will assist him in making the best decision possible to move the Toffees ahead rather than backward.

Continue Reading

Football

Newcastle table £10m loan offer, player out of contract in the summer

Published

on

Newcastle table £10m loan offer, player out of contract in the summer

Newcastle have reportedly made a £10 million loan approach for Jesse Lingard in the final days of the January transfer window, according to 90Min. According to the report, despite the fact that conversations have lasted a month, they ‘anticipate’ this offer to be ‘accepted.’

Lingard, who is 29 years old, has only started two of his 14 league and cup games this season. That’s following a brilliant loan spell with West Ham last season, in which he netted nine goals and contributed five assists in 16 appearances. In June, his contract will expire.

Newcastle, as well as West Ham and Tottenham, have been heavily connected with Lingard. However, according to the source, Newcastle has offered United a £10 million loan fee for Lingard after extensive discussions.

Advertisement
GettyImages 1363299523 1 scaled 1
Image Credit: Sky Sports

Unless he accepts a new Old Trafford contract, such a deal would likely put an end to his United career. It’s unknown whether Lingard wants to transfer, but it’s been said that Newcastle would have to pay him twice as much as he is now.

Lingard still needs to be persuaded. Newcastle triumphed over the weekend, which is crucial not only in terms of staying up but also in terms of attracting players this month. It provides those who are being hunted a better chance of surviving.

Lingard possesses the ability to increase Newcastle’s hopes of remaining in the Premier League significantly. If he joins on loan, Newcastle will have six months to persuade him to sign a permanent contract – and it could work out.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: