Connect with us

Sports

Raducanu relives US Open glory on first night back home

Published

on

Raducanu relives US Open glory on first night back home

Emma Raducanu revealed on Friday she spent her first night back in Britain watching a replay of her historic US Open final victory against Leylah Fernandez, admitting her achievement still had not fully sunk in.

The 18-year-old beat her 19-year-old Canadian opponent 6-4, 6-3 in New York on Saturday to become the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam.

Raducanu became the first British player to win a Grand Slam in women’s singles since Virginia Wade in 1977 and did not drop a set during her stunning run to the title.

Advertisement

She returned to her suburban London home on Thursday, enjoying a taste of home cooking and reliving the emotional rollercoaster of her 111-minute tussle with Fernandez.

“It’s gradually sinking in a bit more, but it’s still such a whirlwind of an experience,” she told the BBC. “I’ve loved every moment of it. It is something that is still very difficult to fully comprehend.”

Raducanu, who has rocketed to 23rd in the world rankings, made her breakthrough at Wimbledon earlier this year, reaching the fourth round at her first Grand Slam.

Advertisement

But her mid-match withdrawal drew criticism for a perceived lack of mental strength, including from seven-time Grand Slam winner and pundit John McEnroe.

Yet Raducanu felt proud of her resilience during her victory in New York.

“When I was watching it (the final), it almost feels like that’s not me who’s playing,” she said.

Advertisement

“I knew exactly what was going to happen but there’s some very tense moments and I was really proud of how I came through.”

Raducanu has spoken of how her parents’ strict approach helped her become a champion.

Speaking about her welcome home, the teenager said: “They just gave me a hug when I came back, nothing crazy. My mum made some really good homemade dumplings. Just some reassurance in saying they’re proud of me is enough.”

Advertisement

The Toronto-born teenager, who pocketed $2.5 million for winning the US Open, has shot to fame overnight and is set to earn millions through lucrative sponsorship deals.

She received a congratulatory letter from Queen Elizabeth II, spoke with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson via telephone and appeared at New York’s Met Gala fashion show.

Raducanu’s next appearance on the WTA Tour could come at the Indian Wells tournament in California next month.

Advertisement

Formula 1

Will the FIA’s decision on Masi stand well with Mercedes and Hamilton?

Published

on

Will the FIA’s decision on Masi stand well with Mercedes and Hamilton?

After a controversial end to the 2021 season that saw Max Verstappen clinch his first F1 title, many have criticized race director Michael Masi for allegedly “snatching” the title from Hamilton and “handing” it over to Verstappen.

Some, if not many, believe that Masi’s decision to restart the race on the last lap was a deliberate move to deny Hamilton the win in a race he had led from lap one. Mercedes were obviously pissed off by the result, which denied their leading driver a possible record eighth championship title.

According to reports, Mercedes wants Masi gone before the 2022 season gets underway, but nothing has been decided yet about the 44-year-old. According to the Daily Mail, some believe that Masi should stay, but others think that if he does, the reputation of F1 will be jeopardized.

Advertisement

As per reports, Mercedes and F1 held friendly talks over the issue but didn’t reach a unanimous decision. However, the sporting body has allegedly decided that Masi will stay, which will be to Mercedes and Hamilton’s disappointment and anger.

Hamilton hasn’t disclosed whether he will participate in this coming F1 season, and if Michael stays, the chances of the 36-year old’s return to the track might probably be further minimized. “I wouldn’t be shocked if he stopped, so I don’t think anyone should take for granted he’s coming back,” stated Brown, McLaren’s CEO, who urged the sport not to ignore Lewis’ frustration or anger.

With nothing decided for certain, though, everyone, especially the involved parties, can only wait, fingers crossed that what is settled in the end benefits both sides. There’s hope of that happening if the new FIA president is as diligent as Brown described. “…I believe he will be a change agent…,” Brown assured.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Formula 1

Hamilton thinks rating who is best will be easy if he and Max drove the same car

Published

on

Hamilton thinks rating who is best will be easy if he and Max drove the same car

Whether it will be a record eighth title for Hamilton, or a brilliant second for Verstappen, is still unclear, and so is the answer to who is the best driver between the two.

After an exciting and perhaps controversial 2021 season, F1 will usher in an anticipated 2022 as the two leading drivers and current biggest rivals take to their wheels for another title race.

After a brilliant 14-year F1 career and four consecutive titles (2017–2020), one would go for Hamilton, but some think he has the advantage of a better car.

Advertisement

The comparison goes way back, and in 2019, Lewis thought of the simplest solution to this argument: having Verstappen drive the same car. “I see stories that we have different cars and that’s the only way I beat him, so that would give me the opportunity to show that is not the case.”

Mercedes have dominated F1 for close to ten years, with Red Bull seeming content as runners-up most of that time, but last year saw a different outcome as the latter made it clear they were out to end their rival’s dominance.

The 36-year old’s suggestion is unlikely to take root though, as Verstappen is contracted to RedBull for at least another two seasons, while Mercedes has already signed a new teammate for the 7-time champion.

Advertisement

That leaves the field open for all to see and judge. Hopefully, they (Hamilton and Verstappen) make the next few seasons where they’ll compete as exciting as they have been, from which everyone will judge who to crown king.

Continue Reading

Formula 1

Mercedes to demand Michael Masi is fired or Lewis Hamilton ‘will quit’

Published

on

Mercedes to demand Michael Masi is fired or Lewis Hamilton 'will quit'

Toto Wolff, the Mercedes team chief, is expected to demand that FIA race director Michael Masi be fired, or Lewis Hamilton, the seven-time world champion, would retire from the sport.

On Friday, Wolff will meet with Mohammed Ben Sulayem, the incoming FIA president, to discuss the happenings of the 2021 season finale in Abu Dhabi.

Max Verstappen won his first world victory in dramatic and contentious conditions, as he and title challenger Lewis Hamilton were equal on points heading into the finale at the Yas Marina Circuit.

Advertisement

On the penultimate lap of the championship, the Dutchman overtook the seven-time world champion, who had led for much of the race, after a late Safety Car and tyre replacement switched momentum in his favor.

Mercedes’ rage was directed primarily towards Masi, who initially refused to allow vehicles to unlap themselves, as is customary, only to reverse his decision in order to set up the last lap clash between Hamilton and Verstappen.

Mercedes is alleged to have withdrawn their petition against the race results after reaching an agreement with the FIA, which stated that Michael Masi and FIA director of single-seater technical affairs Nikolas Tombazis would be fired ahead of the 2022 championship.

Advertisement

After the season finale, Hamilton and the Mercedes crew did not give any additional media interviews. Since the events of December 12th, 2021, the 37-year-old has yet to post on his social media accounts, and he is rumored to have yet to commit to the upcoming season.

The FIA is expected to fire Masi, but one of the incoming president’s backers, Bernie Ecclestone, does not feel the Australian should be fired.

“I see no reason whatsoever why Michael should not continue in his job,” Ecclestone told The Daily Mail. “He did what he thought what was best.

Advertisement

“You can say I would do this or that or the other. But it would have been awful if the final race had ended under a safety car.

“Michael would have got in just as much trouble. He is a good man and the FIA should stick by him.”

Mohammed Ben Sulayem, the new FIA president who took over from Jean Todt in December, denied reports that Hamilton would retire before next competition.

Advertisement

“No, I don’t think he will [quit],” Ben Sulayem told reporters. “I’ll ask your question, did Lewis declare that he’s not going to race? No. Exactly. Being a driver, you declare yourself, you don’t let the rumours [talk].

“I’m confident that Lewis [will return]. Lewis is a big part of motorsport, and of course of Formula 1, the new era [can add to] Lewis’s wins and achievements, and also Verstappen is there.

“I am very confident that you will see a very challenging Formula 1 season next year.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: