Celtic make move to sign 26-yr-old with same agent as Tierney
|

Dominik Livakovic Celtic transfer links put to bed as next destination revealed

Any faint hopes Celtic fans had of seeing Dominik Livakovic at Parkhead this summer have been all but dashed.

The Croatia No1 had been linked with a move to the Scottish champions after entering the final 12 months of his Dinamo Zagreb contract. Livakovic is one of Europe’s most underrated keepers and was available for a cut-price £8million – a fee well within Celtic’s budget.

However, the Hoops never tabled an offer for the 28-year-old and now, Livakovic is on the verge of completing his long-awaited transfer to Fenerbahce. The Turkish giants have been chasing Livakovic’s signature all summer and had reportedly agreed a fee last month.

And various reports in Turkey now claim that the World Cup semi-finalist is set to finally rubber-stamp his move to the Super Lig title hopefuls after agreeing a four-year contract.

It’s said that Livakovic could be announced by Friday, which will put an end to one of the summer’s longest-running transfer sagas.

Livakovic will link up with ex-Rangers star Ryan Kent in Istanbul as he gets set to become the yellow-navy blues’ 12th summer signing.

Meanwhile, it’s understood Brendan Rodgers will only move for a new shotstopper if one of his three goalies leaves between now and transfer deadline day on September 1. Joe Hart, Scott Bain and Ben Siegrist are all on the books.

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers clears up Alexandro Bernabei situation

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has no ongoing concerns regarding Alexandro Bernabei, but did confirm that he was omitted from the squad last week after the player missed a pre-match meeting.

Reports surfaced through the week about the Argentinian being disciplined for the no-show, sparking worries that Bernabei may be a problem player heading deeper into the season.

High-profile pundit Chris Sutton, for example, was left fuming with the news, describing it as “unacceptable”.

However, Rodgers has talked up the Argentinian’s contribution in pre-season and reckons everyone can draw a line under the incident.

The Celtic manager said [The Scotsman]: “His alarm is working now. He has been brilliant in pre-season in terms of mentality and attitude and I felt for him. The very morning of the first game of the season whatever happened the alarm did not go off. I don’t have time to wait.

“If you start late in the game and you are not quite ready then the game could be dead. It’s gone. We draw a line under it. He’s a good guy. His professionalism is fantastic and there is no worry. We all make mistakes but you learn from them and you’ll be better for it.”

Bernabei was named on the bench for Sunday’s win against Aberdeen so is at least again involved with the squad. However, he didn’t feature as a substitute and is still awaiting his first competitive appearance this term.

That could come next week against Kilmarnock in the Scottish League Cup, especially with Greg Taylor not quite hitting hot form in the early stages of the new campaign.

The 22-year-old does have talent but still has a lot to learn about playing in the left-back role for Celtic – not least the defensive side of the game. Despite this setback, he has a good chance of earning plenty of minutes over the coming weeks and months.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings